- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Melt butter and cocoa in a saucepan, stirring. Leave to cool.
- Add sugar and vanilla essence to saucepan and stir in.
- Add eggs and beat mixture well.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into the saucepan and mix well.
- Add nuts or sultanas and stir in well. Note: if adding salted peanuts, only add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour in a 20cm square tin and bake in moderate oven for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares while still warm, but leave in the tin to cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, or ice with chocolate icing. Serve.
Thursday, 20 November 2014
125g butter (you can use 50% less fat butter successfully too - I used Devondale Light)
6 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup sugar (brown or white)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 cup sifted plain flour
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2-1 cup chopped nuts, salted peanuts, or sultanas