- Cream butter and vanilla. Add sugars (and lemon rind/juice if using) and mix well.
- Mix in flour a little at a time, beating very well between each addition. Dough is done when it pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl and feels slightly dry (rather than sticky) to the touch. This may take slightly less or more than the 5 cups of flour.
- Knead dough lightly and press out ½ inch thick onto a baking tray, and score the dough into fingers – this is the easiest way. Sprinkle with castor sugar.
- An alternative is to roll the dough to about ½ inch thickness and cut into shapes with biscuit cutters (stars, hearts, etc.). Place biscuit shapes on a baking tray lined with baking paper (optional). Sprinkle with castor sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 150C, or until light brown. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with more castor sugar.
- If you have used my easy method of pressing into a tray and cutting fingers, immediately re-score the cuts on the tray to make sure the fingers will break cleanly when you separate them.
- Leave shortbread to cool.
Saturday, 26 March 2016
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup icing sugar
1 cup brown sugar
5 cups plain flour
Lemon rind and juice of ½ lemon (optional)